[Mailman-Users] Emergency Moderate question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 1 22:28:48 CET 2011

Rob wrote:

>I noticed a strange behavior recently. One list was set to "Emergency Moderate" all traffic. For this one list, I (as administrator) did not receive the customary notification of held e-mails until the following day, when the daily reminder message would notify me that the message was still waiting to be approved/denied.

That's how it's designed to work. Emergency moderation is designed to
be used to moderate all traffic in emergencies such as to quell flame
wars. It is not intended to be used routinely to moderate all posts.

Thus, when emergency moderation is on, posts which are not held for
some other reason are held for emergency moderation and the
owner/moderator is not notified even if admin_immed_notify is yes.

>Turning off "Emergency Moderate" restored behavior to normal, and I now receive immediate notification of held posts.

Unless there is an Apple mod in the order of the pipeline, you should
have received notices of posts held for other than emergency
moderation anyway. The only held posts that you would not receive
notice for are those specifically held for emergency moderation.

>All other lists work fine with respect to moderated / held messages, none of them have 'Emergency Moderate' on.
>
>I am trying to understand this behavior and was curious if anyone had any thoughts.

If you want to routinely hold all posts, the way to do that is to set
all member's 'mod' flags on and set new members moderated by default.
Under normal circumstannces, emergency moderation should be off.