[Mailman-Users] Simple notification handler

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Mon Dec 19 21:57:22 CET 2011

Hi All,

I know this is a relatively easy question, but I don't have enough of
the Mailman/Handlers examples and what I got from searching the web to
get a clear picture of how to create a simple handler that does this :

- Parse the Subject line looking for "*rror*"
- If so, send an email to an arbitrary address

The handler will not stop the normal flow of the list in any manner
(e.g. it won't hold an email or something).  I'll be using the list to
store backup reports in which the subject line will have either "OK" or
"Error" and I just want to notify someone when an error occurs so they
can go in the list private Archive and see what's going on.

I understand the pipeline system and how I could add the Handler for a
specific list, but I'm looking for a detailed Python API listing
somewhere to see what I can really do in the process() function, e.g.

def process(mlist, msg, msgdata):
     subject = msg.getheader('subject')
# parse subject (I'll find that) and if error
  #  msg.send("arbitraryemail at whatever.com")

Thanx for pointers,

Yves Moisan