[Mailman-Users] A few questions about mailman 2.1.14 install onDreamhost

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 15 20:54:35 CET 2011

hk wrote:

>I'm considering the move of a longstanding discussion list with 600+
>members from L-Soft Listserv (hosted at a university) to Mailman on
>Dreamhost (v2.1.14.)
>
>There are a few management features I've really grown to like from
>hosting other lists -- I was hoping if someone can tell me if there's
>any way to enable them in Mailman (assuming one can't hack Dreamhost's
>install . . .?)
>
>1) Mark S helped me get a modification set up to a current mailman list
>I manage that enabled real-time notifications of moderation requests
>(Thanks again!).  Any way to do this here?

I don't recall what the issue was in that case, but normally, setting
General Options -> admin_immed_notify to Yes will cause immediate
notification to the admins/moderators of all held messages except
those held for 'emergency' moderation.

Note that 'emergency' is intended to be used only for emergencies such
as a flame war. There are other ways to moderate a list in general.

>2) I suspect there's a fair amount of joining and leaving this list each
>day in its current incarnation, but don't have a way to receive
>notifications; of course Mailman does have the option of having owners
>notified when members join and leave, but I'm afraid this could generate
>too much mail for some moderators.  Is there a way to set this
>preference individually like in Yahoogroups so that a mod who didn't
>want these messages could not get them, while the other mods still would?

No. Or I should say, only by leaving the moderator's address out of the
'owner' and 'moderator' lists which would cause that moderator to
receive no notifications at all, which is probably not what you want.

>3) I may just be tired but is there a was to set the archives to be
>available only when logged in? And/or to munge e-mail addresses like on
>Yahoogroups?

Yes, setting Archiving Options -> archive_private to private will
require authentication to access the archives. Email address
obfuscation in the archives is very minimal, i.e. only replacing '@'
with ' at '.

If you want a public archive with better obfuscation, you can use a
third party archiver such as mail-archive.com.