[Mailman-Users] mimdefang and footers

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 15 02:09:49 CET 2011

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

>Let me back track a bit.  When the attachment garbage started to be
>reported, I looked into the issue.  I found a bunch of posts on this
>list, and random websites explaining what was going on.  Eventually I
>found your code.  However, before I put in mimedefang and your solution,
>I deleted the entire footer because I reasoned with no footer, Outlook
>wouldn't get confused and show an attachment.  Unfortunately, it didn't
>work.  Emails still had the attachment - enter confusion.

There are two footer settings, Non-digest options -> msg_footer and
Digest options -> digest_footer. Are you making your changes to
Non-digest options -> msg_footer? If this setting is empty, Mailman
will not add any extra MIME part to individual messages.

Note that "empty" is not the same as "containing only whitespace" There
may be spaces and/or newlines in the text box that you don't see. If
msg_footer is truly empty, Mailman won't add a part for it to messages.

>That's when I
>put in your solution.  Which still didn't work - further confusion.
>
>A few minutes ago I deleted the MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG lines, but left
>mimedefang running.  Now Outlook users are reporting the attachment is
>gone.  WTH?!

Maybe this time you actually emptied the setting.

>I've seen some warnings in the mail log about not being able to see the
>mimedefang socket. I think it's because the /var/spool/MIMEDefang dir is
>owned by the user "defang", and the postfix user has not rights to read
>the contents within (i.e. 700).
>
>I'm going to try running mimedefang under the postfix user.  Maybe THIS
>is the source of the problem with the "MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG" lines showing
>up in the footer.  But, it still doesn't explain why removing the footer
>altogether before I implemented your solution didn't work.

Probably because you didn't remove it entirely but left one or more
white space characters.