[Mailman-Users] MailMan Installation On Remote System?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Dec 14 22:49:33 CET 2011

Carlos Mennens wrote:

>I've got three servers in the office:
>
>1. mail
>2. web
>3. db
>
>My question is can I install MailMan on my web server and have it
>manage lists for my mail server? They're all on the same physical LAN
>and subnet so there's no weird networking hopscotch that needs to
>occur. Anyone know if this is possible?

Yes, you can do this. You can configure Mailman to use the mail server
directly for outgoing mail, but the more difficult part is incoming
mail. It is probably best to install an MTA on the web server solely
for delivery to Mailman. Then the mail server can relay Mailman's mail
to the MTA on the web server for delivery to Mailman. You can use a
non-standard port for this, and if you're really concerned about
external access, use a firewall to limit access to this port to the
mail server.

Then Mailman could use its local MTA for delivery, either directly or
via relay to the mail server, or Mailman can deliver via the mail
server directly.