[Mailman-Users] Operating mailman across a mail gateway for inboundmail.

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Dec 8 01:22:46 CET 2011

On 12/7/2011 00:28, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> This part is doable by telling Mailman to use the mail server directly
> for outgoing SMTP or possibly by relaying via a local MTA. It is not
> clear to me how internal mail would be routed from the Mailman server
> to the recipients, so I don't know which might be a more suitable
> solution.

Split DNS should not be needed to solve this.  Simply install Mailman as
it's own sub-domain (maillists.example.com?) and have the Sendmail
gateway route that domain to the server that Mailman is running on.  (It
/could/ be the Sendmail server, but it does not really matter.)

Then when Mailman sends email to your users (i.e. user1 at example.com) it
will route to the existing MX for example.com just like normal email
would.  -  If for some reason you set up other mail routing, email from
Mailman would happily follow that configuration.

If you would like more details, pleas more clearly specify your existing
environment and what you are thinking about doing and would like to do.

Grant. . . .