[Mailman-Users] Deleting old msgs?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Dec 3 20:13:19 CET 2011

Richard Haas wrote:

>Having fewer layers would be welcome though, so thanks for this script,
>Mark.

You're welcome.

>One idea/request: Would you be willing to add the logic to write
>the pruned message data to a supplied path+filename? That would let
>the script dump the pruned data where it could be retained or aged via
>another scheme.

I have added a -p/--preserve option to collect the pruned messages in
archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox.pruned, appending to that
file if it exists. You could then compress that and save it anywhere
you want. If you feel it is important to provide the path rather than
using the fixed path above, I can do that, but since my script can
process multiple lists in one invocation, it is more complicated.
I.e., should all the pruned messages from multiple lists be saved in a
single file, or should the list name be inserted into the path name
somehow?