[Mailman-Users] Creating a list for announcements only

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Aug 23 02:58:30 CEST 2011

Atkins, Brian CTR wrote:

>OK, I'm very close and have made many of the changes suggested both by Mark and from the FAQ. I have one last item I'm having trouble with. I have an explicit reply to address in place. If I set the member_moderation_action to 'discard', will the person/people in the explicit reply to header still get a copy of the message? What about 'reject'?

Mailman will not send a copy of the post it received and discarded or
rejected, but if the post is a reply or reply-all to some other list
post it will probably be addressed to the explicit reply to address
placed by Mailman in the Reply-To: header of the post to which this is
a reply.

Basically, You are suggesting to the user's MUA that replies to posts
from the list should be sent to the explicit reply to address, but how
this reply is actually addressed depends on the repliers MUA, whether
the replier said 'reply', 'reply all' or 'reply list' (if available)
and whether or how the replier edited the recipients of the message.
All these things are beyond the control of Mailman and you.

In short, if this is an original post to the list from a moderated
member, it will be rejected or discarded by Mailman and the only
Mailman notice will be to the poster (containing
member_moderation_notice) in the case of reject.

If this is a reply to a list post, it will probably be addressed only
to the explicit reply to address or to that address and the list or to
the list only depending on how the reply was generated.