[Mailman-Users] stagger send

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Aug 16 19:28:27 CEST 2011

dumpsterdiver wrote:

>Hi, my hosting service just let me know that I have exceeded their allowable emails per hours send limit.  They suggested I use a mailing list that can stagger my sends.  Does Mail Man do this and how?  I'd love to continue using this platform.  Thanks!

There is no way in standard Mailman to throttle or stagger delivery,
but there is a patch in the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/j4A9> that
could be installed by your hosting provider in it's Mailman to limit
delivery from Mailman to a predetermined maximum number of messages
per given time period.

This patch may not be satisfactory for a hosting provider situation
because it would apply globally to the entire Mailman installation
rather than "per user", but they might be willing to consider it.

On the other hand, if you are exceeding their limit because you have
more than the limit subscribers to your list, and one post results in
sending over the limit, you might be able to convince them that while
a single post exceeds your limit for that hour, you only post once a
day, or twice a week or ... so your average rate is still way less
than the limit so they shouldn't penalize you.