[Mailman-Users] Two questions ref virtual hosts andmailman[SOLVED (so far)]

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Aug 6 03:08:10 CEST 2011

On 8/5/2011 5:41 PM, Tom Browder wrote:

> No, this:
>
> Show member addresses so they're not directly recognizable as email addresses?
> (Details for obscure_addresses)   No Yes    <== [Yes selected]

That setting affects only how addresses are displayed on the list's
roster web page.

> ***And this may be part of my understanding--this setting:
>
> Where are replies to list messages directed? Poster is strongly
> recommended for most mailing lists.  [it iset to POSTER]
>
> I now see that that is what this list does--I'm not used to that on
> other mailing lists.
>
> I've looked at both arguments for "munging" reply-to and I agree with
> the dissenter and will change the setting to THIS LIST.
>
> Shouldn't that do the trick?

That will add a Reply-To: header (or add to an existing Reply-To: if
first_strip_reply_to is No) with the list posting address.

>> What are the actual raw headers in the message you receive from the
>> list?
>
> This is what my gmail shows:
>
> from	Jerry Pipinich jpipinich at yahoo.com via usafa-1965.org
> sender-time	Sent at 17:31 (GMT-07:00). Current time there: 5:36 PM. ✆
> to	graytags at usafa-1965.org
> date	Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 17:31
> subject	[Graytags] USAFA '65
> mailing list	graytags.usafa-1965.org Filter messages from this mailing list
> mailed-by	usafa-1965.org
> unsubscribe	Unsubscribe from this mailing-list

Is that from clicking the down arrow next to "Reply" in the gmail
message display window and selecting "show original"? If not, what is
the From: header when you do that?

If so, then Postfix is rewriting the From: header. "Why" is a Postfix
question. If we can help with that, we'd at least need to see the output
from "postconf -n", but I would recommend getting rid of
postfix-to-mailman.py and just using standard Mailman/Postfix integration.