[Mailman-Users] mailman on freeBSD 8.2: getgrgid error

Rekhesh Mohan reks at iiap.res.in
Wed Aug 3 08:23:00 CEST 2011

On Wednesday, August 03, 2011 02:06:50 AM Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Rekhesh Mohan wrote:
> >Now here is something that spoiled my sleep: I wrote a small test
> >program to call getgrgid(), and it prints getgrgid()->gr_name = www.
> >When I added a print statement inside common.c, I get
> >getgrgid()->gr_name = null (it goes to http error log, since http
> >headers are not defined at this stage of the code).
>
> What are the permissions on /etc/group? Is it world readable?

Yes. They are world readable. By the way, I'm making some progress here
:)

I can now confirm that issue is with system/OS security and not with
mailman. getgrgid()->gr_name returns meaningful value only if a member
of "wheel" group calls it. I added my apache-user "www" to wheel group
(his primary group is still www) and mailman is happy - web interface is
working. I am not sure about the security implications of apache user
being a member of wheel group.

Need to check if this is the default behaviour of freeBSD 8.2. I am
searching for a machine where I can try a fresh and clean install of
freeBSD + mailman. Please let me know If anyone here has a mailman
working on freeBSD 8.2

--R