[Mailman-Users] mailman on freeBSD 8.2: getgrgid error

Rekhesh Mohan reks at iiap.res.in
Tue Aug 2 14:42:44 CEST 2011

On 01/08/2011 Mark wrote
> Rekhesh Mohan wrote:
> >AFAIK, src/common.c is checking the GID with getgid() followed by
> >getgrgid(). Now, my machine uses blowfish instead of md5 for passwd.
> >getgid() is returning 80 - which is fine since i have gid(www) = 80
> >on my system. However, getgrgid(gid) returns null :-|  I gave up my
> >fight at that point and decided to ask for help :)
>
> This appears to be a C library/OS issue that has nothing to do with
> Mailman. getgrgid(gid) should return a struct group for the group
> whose ID is gid. This structure should contain the information which
> is a representation of the fields in the /etc/groups record for that
> gid. If gid is valid, the return from getgrgid(gid) should not be
> null.

You are probably right. It may be an issue in C library/OS. I will try
and discuss this in freeBSD lists.

> >I tried to figure out the behaviour of these functions with a small
> >test code: getgrgid() returns gr_passwd = * for blowfish, and
> >gr_passwd = x for md5. Is that an issue with mailman or am I making
> >mistakes somewhere else in the installation?
>
> Mailman only cares about getgrgid()->gr_name.

Now here is something that spoiled my sleep: I wrote a small test
program to call getgrgid(), and it prints getgrgid()->gr_name = www.
When I added a print statement inside common.c, I get
getgrgid()->gr_name = null (it goes to http error log, since http
headers are not defined at this stage of the code).

Anyways, thanks again for your help..

--R