[Mailman-Users] Can I use /usr/sbin/postmap myself to updatevirtual-mailman.db?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Aug 2 01:03:37 CEST 2011

Ulf Dunkel wrote:

>Now I see that the virtual-mailman file isn't updated for these simply
>copied mailing lists, but only for newly created ones. The file warns me
>to edit it myself, but rather have it auto-updated from the
>virtual-mailman.db file.

Actually, that's not what the warning means. See below.

>If I have understood the process correctly, every time when I create a
>new mailing list, Mailman will add the relevant data to the
>virtual-mailman.db and run /usr/sbin/postmap to have the virtual-mailman
>file updated for Postfix.

That's backwards. Mailman adds the relevant data to the virtual-mailman
file and then runs /usr/sbin/postmap to update the virtual-mailman.db
file from virtual-mailman. When you put something like
hash:/path/to/data/virtual-mailman in your Postfix config, that tells
Postfix to consult the corresponding /path/to/data/virtual-mailman.db
database and to generate warnings in its log if the
/path/to/data/virtual-mailman.db is not at least as new as
/path/to/data/virtual-mailman

>Can I do this myself on the Server console? I would really like to avoid
>having to create all these mailing lists again ...

What you want to run is Mailman's bin/genaliases which will completely
rebuild data/aliases and data/virtual-mailman based on the lists in
the installation including those you added by copying and run the
relevant postalias and postmap commands to update the .db files.