[Mailman-Users] messages not going out now (though they did when Itested the list)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Apr 23 18:44:52 CEST 2011

Kathy Bilton wrote:

>I just set up a mailing list via the host of my website.  They are using
>Mailman 2.1.14.
>
>I tested it out right after I first set it up.  The initial three
>addresses which I placed on the list and to which I sent some test mails
>all received them without problem.
>
>So then I added a whole bunch of addresses - about 250 - which I took from
>a list to which I had been sending mails via BCC.   (In searching archives
>of the mailman-users list, I found reference to 100 addresses as a maximum
>- at least for some systems/lists, but when I did the mass subscribe, I
>got no message indicating I was subscribing more than allowed.)

Mailman has no built in limits on the number of list members. See the
FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/NoA9>.

Some web hosing services that offer Mailman as an 'afterthought' place
various restrictions on sending mail that impact Mailman's use for
lists exceeding some size or message volume, but that is an issue with
the particular host's policies, not with Mailman per se.

>I sent the first mail this morning. I got a bounce request for moderation
>(even though I was pretty sure I had set my own address not to require
>moderation).  I approved it, but the message never arrived.

What was the reason for which the message was held?

How do you know it never arrived after you approved it? (If your
address is a Googlemail address, see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/2IA9>).

>I went into the membership area and definitely set my own address to not
>require moderation. I sent the message out again, but have not seen any
>sign of it.
>
>I have the list set to not archive messages, but I know they're going out,
>at least they're appearing in my Alpine sent-mail.

That only says the posts got sent to the list. It doesn't prove the
list received them, but since you did get at least one held message
notice from the list, it is probably safe to assume they reach the
list.

>Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

This is something that probably only the hosting service can
diagnose/resolve. There are a few items in the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9> that might be relevant, but basically,
since a small list worked, most things are probably OK. The host
admins can check Mailman's 'smtp' log to verify the the messages are
being sent from Mailman to the outgoing MTA and Mailman's
'smtp-failure' and 'bounce' logs for delivery problems reported to
Mailman, and the MTA's logs to see what's happening to the messages
after delivery from Mailman to the MTA.

If they wish to pursue this, they can ask this list for help, and we
will do our best to provide it.