[Mailman-Users] Upgrading and converting mailman to postfix

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Apr 21 06:57:04 CEST 2011

On Apr 20, 2011, at 9:59 PM, Steven Jones wrote:

> a) Docs or how easy is it to straight migrate from RHEL3 (2.1.5) to RHEL6  (2.1.12) ?

What does Red Hat tell you about migrating from sendmail to postfix with RHEL3 -> RHEL6?  In my experience, postfix goes pretty far out of its way to be as much of a drop-in replacement for sendmail as can reasonably be done.

But that's in a more typical Unix type of environment where you're building tools from source, or using a BSD-style "ports" system.  I can't speak for how that would work in a more regimented binary-only RPM package environment.

> b) How easy is it to convert a sendmail setup with /etc/aliases to postfix?  any automated scripts?

My experience has been that postfix is the most natural MTA to pair with Mailman, and I've been involved in the postfix community since the very earliest days back when Wietse was still calling it VMailer.  We've been using postfix with Mailman on python.org at least as long as I've been involved in the Mailman project -- and we're talking multiple years in both cases.

By default, postfix includes some standard tools for taking the same sorts of source files and turning them into a postfix-native binary format (by replacing the "newaliases" command, among other things).

However, I don't know how Red Hat chooses to modify that situation when they build a postfix package for their platform.  You'd have to ask them where their tools are and how those tools change from one version of RHEL to another.