[Mailman-Users] accept_these_nonmembers @ notation

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Apr 12 20:06:01 CEST 2011

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

>Only I noticed that nesting of sibling lists is not allowed (it does not
>work as expected).

The sibling list feature, regular_include_lists and
regular_exclude_lists does not work as you expect because it only
affects recipients of posts to 'this list'. For example if lista
contains listb at ... in its regular_include_lists, The recipient list
for a post to lista which doesn't also address listb will be augmented
by those regular members of listb who aren't members of lista. Since
the post is sent only to lista, only lista's regular_*_lists are
considered in modifying the recipient list. listb's
regular_include_lists is only considered for posts to listb, and not
when augmenting the recipient list for a post to lista.

>I created the following cases :
>
>  list     members siblings         accept non members
>  ----------------------------------------------------------------
>  pseudoa  A       none             pseudot pseudop              *
>  pseudot  B       none             pseudoa pseudop              *
>  pseudos  none    pseudoa pseudot  pseudoa pseudot pseudop
>  pseudop  A+x(,C) none             pseudoa pseudot              *
>  pseudoi  none    pseudos pseudop  pseudoa pseudot pseudop
>
>The three lists marked with * contain members (in the regime they will
>contain several members and they will be disjoinct, and there will be six
>such lists).
>
>The other two lists (no *) are umbrella lists. They have no members but
>only sibling lists.
>
>All the lists will be closed. Members of all real lists (and only they)
>can post to any of the lists.
>
>However with the configuration given above, list "pseudoi", which is a
>2-level umbrella list (one of the sibling has siblings) does not work.
>Message sent to it are never dispatched to pseudot.
>
>The SOLUTION is to avoid nesting. "pseudoi" siblings are all three level-0
>lists pseudoa pseudot pseudop.
>
>This way it works.
>
>And it is also smart. Originally in pseudop I defined as member myself
>with a subaddress (A+x). This is not realistic but I did not want to annoy
>another colleague for the tests.
>
>Mailman is so smart that when sending to pseudoi send just to A,B and C
>and removes the duplicate to A+x. Great !

I don't think Mailman did this. Possibly it was the MTA or your MUA
that dropped one of the (A, A+x) recipients, but I don't think Mailman
will.

>While when receiving, a subaddress is honoured (so if I post from e.g.
>lucio+fakenonmember, this triggers moderation). As it should be !
>
>Maybe part of this information could go in a FAQ.

I have added a note about only one level of inclusion to the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/TIA9>.