[Mailman-Users] simple option to unsubscribe from list viaemail or single click

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 7 20:32:29 CEST 2011

>On 07 Apr 2011, at 17:02, Nick Putman wrote:
>
>> I am looking for the simplest method of users unsubscribing from my Mailman list, either by replying to the list with 'unsubscribe' in the subject or the body, or a one click link in the footer that opens an email that can be sent to unsubscribe or which redirects a user to a webpage confirming they have unsubscribed.

and Ch Abarguia replied:

That may or may not provide a 'clickable' link depending on the
recipient's MUA. Even so, a simpler and more general footer would be

Also consider

Unsubscribe: <%(web_page_url)s/options/%(list_name)s>

or if the list is personalized

Unsubscribe: <%(user_optionsurl)s>

If the list is personalized and you are willing to include cleartext
user passwords in the footer, see
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-May/044961.html>,
but also see
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2009-May/065944.html>
for other information including why you shouldn't put user passwords
in the footer.