[Mailman-Users] regarding specific mail ids

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 7 04:54:02 CEST 2011

Arun Gupta wrote:

>First of all thanks for your response, Is it any way to customize my
>mailman to achieve my goal please give me some clue or some document.

That depends on what your goal is. If you are willing to let the list
members and/or posters control this, there are possibilities.

You could create two lists, lista and listb. The members of lista would
be those people who should receive posts from either postera or
posterb, and the members of listb would be those who should receive
only posts from posterb.

Then if you put lista at ... in listb's Non-digest options ->
regular_include_lists, and postera posts to lista and posterb posts to
listb, then the members of both lists will receive posterb's posts and
only the members of lista will receive postera's posts.

This relies on the posters posting to the correct list.

Alternatively, another reply suggested topics. This would work, but
topics are based on regexp matches on the Subject: or Keywords:
headers, not on the poster so the poster would have to identify the
topic. You could make your own custom version of
Mailman/Handlers/Tagger.py that would assign a Topic to a poster by
the poster's address and use topics in that way, but either of these
relies on list members subscribing to the appropriate topics. See the
FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/l4A9> for information on custom
handlers.

If your requirement is that who gets which poster's posts is solely
controlled by the list administrator, this would require either a
rather kludgy custom handler to replace CalcRecips.py or significant
modifications to various Mailman modules to implement flags to match
list members with posters and a UI to manipulate them. Such
modifications are beyond the scope of the mailman-*@python.org lists.