[Mailman-Users] Autoresponder and privacy

Clare Redstone clare at catspaw.plus.com
Wed Apr 6 09:31:37 CEST 2011

Dear Stephen,

Thank you for your prompt help.

If I've understood you right, it's going to be difficult for me to do
anything beyond warn people. Apart from moderate all messages, which would
be OK a lot of the time but sometimes we have very talkative days and of
course sometimes I'm away. I'm in the UK and don't know what the legal
situation is about trying and failing.

> Note that Mailman private archives are not terribly secure by default;
>you might not want to allow access even with in the privacy setting.

How insecure? Are they more vulnerable than a members-only Yahoo or Google
group for example? Are they protected from search engines? Would someone
have to make a deliberate effort to hack in to read the archive or could
someone come across it by accident, say through a search engine?

I think if it would take someone with some technical knowledge, deliberately
looking for it to get in, that would be safe enough. I will add a warning to
the FAQ that someone could deliberately hack in and bring it to their
attention. One thing I'm suggesting is that people could set up and email
account with a nickname so they wouldn't so easily be identified.

Thanks.
Clare