[Mailman-Users] Autoresponder and privacy

Clare Redstone clare at catspaw.plus.com
Wed Apr 6 09:24:02 CEST 2011

Dear Mark,

Thank you for replying so quickly. I don't understand some of the technical
stuff to understand why
the autoresponder message came to me not the group. But am glad it did!
Because we're a discussion group, I have MM set up for reply to the list.
But haven't set any of the mung options, or we wouldn't know who messages
are from. We have quite a few people with the same forename so it gets
confusing.

> That's probably true, but if list lurkers choose to use broken
>autoresponders that may reveal their address to a list poster and are
>upset about that, that's really their problem. What do they do about
>all the spam they autorespond to? Do they care about that?

I don't think most people know that autoresponders can be broken. I didn't
until I started running the list and began reading majordomo and mailman
users group. And it probably doesn't cross their minds that the
autoresponder is replying to spam. Maybe because work email systems seem to
trawl out so much spam. In any case, there's nothing they can do about that
apart from telling their IT dept when becoming aware of it. At work, you
have to have an out of office message when you're away.

I will suggest this person tells her IT dept.

> Rather than
>unsubscribing the user, you could just set him/her to no mail

Duh! Silly me. Having only just moved from majordomo, which didn't have the
no mail option, to Mailman, I completely forgot I could do this. Despite
having spent time writing a FAQ for the members which included it. Thanks
for the suggestion.

> You could set all members moderated and new members moderated by
>default and then clear each poster's moderate bit as they post.
>Clearing the moderate bit is just a checkbox in the admindb interface
>when approving the post. That way, a lurker's autoresponse could never
>make it to the full list.

Thanks for this suggestion. Yes, that would solve it for people who never
post. There'd still be the possibility of someone posting a message so
coming off moderation, then later setting their autoresponder. But I'm
reassured that you say loops are rare.

Thanks for your help.
Clare