[Mailman-Users] Postfix and Mailman ...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Sep 30 03:36:50 CEST 2010

On 9/29/2010 10:08 AM, Christopher Koeber wrote:

> Essentially what I want is this:
>

> My mailing domain is students.wesleyseminary.edu.
>

> I want messages going to allstudents at students.wesleyseminary.edu to go to a
> mailman managed distribution list that sends to the other accounts on the
> system.
>

> Any help on this? Thanks.
>

> Here is what I have so far:
>

> Postconf –n

[...]
> mydestination =

You may or may not want to specify mydestination in main.cf at all. It
looks as if you specified it as empty. At a minimum you want

mydestination = $myhostname

but the default

is probably better.

> mydomain = students.wesleyseminary.edu
>
> myhostname = wts-zimbra.wesleysem.edu

In any case you need to make a decision here. Is
students.wesleyseminary.edu intended to be a local domain to Postfix or
a virtual alias domain. If local, you need it to be included in
$mtdestination, either by setting

myhostname = students.wesleyseminary.edu

or by including $mydomain (or students.wesleyseminary.edu) in the domain
list for mydestination.

If students.wesleyseminary.edu is to be a virtual alias domain, see below.

[...]
> virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/old_students.cf

If students.wesleyseminary.edu is to be a virtual alias domain, you need
to add hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman to the
virtual_alias_maps list above.

Also it is good to add

virtual_alias_domains = students.wesleyseminary.edu

Note that students.wesleyseminary.edu should not be a
virtual_mailbox_domain in any case.

[...]
> This is the mailmain’s alias file referenced in alias_maps:
>

> /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
[...]

OK

> And this is my mailman’s mm_cfg.py file:
>

>                 /etcmainman/mm_cfg.py:

[...]
> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'students.wesleyseminary.edu'
>
> DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'students.wesleyseminary.edu'
>
> MTA = "Postfix"
>
> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['wesleyministrynetwork.com', '
> students.wesleyseminary.edu']

The above says students.wesleyseminary.edu is a virtual alias domain for
Postfix. If that is true, OK. If not, remove it from this list.

In either case, add

here since you've changed the values of DEFAULT_URL_HOST and
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST subsequent to the entry in Defaults.py.

> add_virtualhost('www.wesleyministrynetwork.com', 'wesleyministrynetwork.com
> ')

After making the above changes, if students.wesleyseminary.edu is to be
a virtual alias domain and if the file
/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman already exists with entries like

allstudents at students.wesleyseminary.edu   allstudents
etc.

You should be OK. If not you may need to run Mailman's

bin/withlist -r -r fix_url allstudents

followed by Mailman's

bin/genaliases

to create the virtual-mailman file.