[Mailman-Users] Preventing from getting on spam list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Sep 29 00:45:37 CEST 2010

Hung Phan wrote:

>What measures can we take to prevent us from being tagged as spammer again? All our lists are always set to not allow non-members post. Is it even worth $102 annually to be on whitelisted.org? I believe whitelisted.org will drop us immediately out of the whitelist as soon as we somehow trigger the spamrats again.

I would never give a dime to whitelisted.org. My IP was recently listed
in UCEPROTECT-Level2, not because of anything having to do with its
SWIPed block of 256 IPs, but because of something having to do with an
IP in the upstream provider's block of 16,384 IPs.

I could have gotten removed from UCEPROTECT-Level2 by paying
whitelist.org to be whitelisted, but this whole notion of guilt by
association with massive IP blocks which contain thousands of
addresses which I have nothing to do with other than using the same
co-location provider, and paying to be removed smells like extortion
to me.

What spamrats list were you on? If you have a static IP, properly
configured with full circle DNS, you should never be on their
RATS-Dyna or RATS-NoPtr lists, and no clueful ISP should use their
RATS-Spam list except perhaps as a component of a score.

If your list mail is sent in the same way as your post, it takes a
rather circuitous route, at least one aspect of which is suspicious.
It goes from host-198-236-7-11.canby.k12.or.us to python.org via
Google and Postini. This may be OK, but what IP is actually
blacklisted?

The suspicious thing is that your outgoing server,
host-198-236-7-11.canby.k12.or.us, IP 198.236.7.11, appears to
identify itself by its internal network address 10.30.177.26 rather
than its actual name or IP. Could it be this IP that was listed? In
any case, your internal network address should not be used in this
context.