[Mailman-Users] BATV and Mailman

Christopher Adams adamsca at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 23:37:37 CEST 2010

Thank you for your replies. I investigate further and found that it
was a Postfix error in configuration. Though I don't understand if
BATV was truly playing a part in it, the server was rejecting
unverified senders, but there wasn't a hash map to indicate verified
senders. I have fixed this.

I based my findings from my search for "prvs=" in Google.

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org> wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Christopher Adams wrote:
>
>> I have had a couple of list subscribers fail to post message to their
>> lists. I tracked down the logs and this seems to be the common theme.
>> I Googled prvs= and found info on BATV. Does Mailman not play well
>> with this or am I not quite understanding what this means?
>
> For those who are not familiar with this term, they should see the Wikipedia page at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_Address_Tag_Validation>.
>
> Suffice it to say that BATV has more than a few problems.  I proposed an alternative that I called Bounce Address Fingerprint Validation which would achieve the same goals but doesn't actually do munging of the Envelope Sender address, but that ran into more than a little resistance from the supporters of BATV.
>
> And when combined with things like VERP, it can really screw things up.
>
>> <prvs=288122D8EB=email at anywhere.com>: Sender address rejected:
>> undeliverable address: host senders.mailserver.com[xxx.xx.xxx.xx]
>> said: 550 5.1.1
>
> I think some critical information is being lost here.  We need to see the entire error message being generated, and we need to know more information about how this system relates to the Mailman installation, etc....
>
> --

Christopher Adams
adamsca at gmail.com