[Mailman-Users] Auto-unsubscribe from other lists

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Sep 28 19:30:39 CEST 2010

Hung Phan wrote:

>We have multiple lists that users can subscribe to and one big list that we manually update periodically. Is there a solution for users to subscribe to one list and automatically subscribe to the big list?

If the multiple, small lists do not allow digests, or if digest
subscribers are not a concers, you could set up the big list with no
members and just include all the small lists in the big list's
regular_include_lists. Then a post to the big list will be distributed
unduplicated to all the current regular members of the small lists.

If you want members of the small lists to be able to post to the big
list, you can also add "@listname" for the small lists to the big
list's accept_these_nonmembers.

> For the unsubscribe, can the users see all the lists that they subscribe to and choose multiple lists at once?

If you follow the above suggestion, no one needs to be removed from the
big list. For multiple small lists, there is no "one click" multiple
unsubscribe, but a user can visit and log in to her options page for
any single list of which she is a member and click the "List my other
subscriptions" button to get a page which lists all her subscribed
lists with links to their options pages which she can then follow and
log in to unsubscribe.