[Mailman-Users] mailman web interface via reverse proxy ; hostname is set properly on list pages, but not on base listinfo

Daniel Maher dma+mailman at witbe.net
Sun Sep 19 15:07:41 CEST 2010

On 09/08/2010 05:42 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Daniel Maher wrote:
>>
>> For example, via http://proxy.dom.ain/mailman/admin/list all of the
>> links on the page point (properly) to
>> http://proxy.dom.ain/mailman/admin/list/* as expected ; all except the
>> final "Overview of all ,x.dom.ain mailing lists" link, which points to
>> http://1.2.3.4/mailman/listinfo .

>> Mailing Lists", and makes references to "mailing lists on 1.2.3.4", and
>> to contact "mailman at 1.2.3.4" for problems.
>

> The host portion of those URLs comes from the get_domain() function in
> Mailman/Utils.py which gets it from the environment passed by Apache
> to the CGI. It uses HTTP_HOST if present or SERVER_NAME if no
> HTTP_HOST.
>
> If you set VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = No in mm_cfg.py, it will use
> DEFAULT_URL_HOST instead which is probably what you want.
>
> I think you can also get Apache to provide the name you want with the
> ServerName and UseCanonicalName directives in httpd.conf, but setting
> VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = No  is probably preferable in your case.

Thank you for your excellent advice and explanation ; setting
"VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = no" did the trick.

For anybody in the future that might find this thread in the archives, i
would also like to note that i had to set "DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN =
'https://%s/mailman/'" in order to make sure that the URLs got written
with https instead of http (default).

For more info :
http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/4.27+Securing+Mailman's+web+GUI+by+using+Secure+HTTP-SSL

Cheers !

--
Daniel Maher <dma PLUS mailman AT witbe DOT net>
"The Internet is completely over." -- Prince