[Mailman-Users] disable a mailing list

Stoyan Angelov s_angelov at filibeto.org
Fri Sep 17 17:10:31 CEST 2010

On 08/24/10 18:28, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Stoyan Angelov wrote:
>>
>> i want to temporary disable one of my mailing lists while keeping the
>> archives available. i run mailman 2.1.12 with sendmail. i was thinking
>> about doing the following:
>>
>> . remove the appropriate aliases from /path/to/aliases (redirecting the
>> <mailling-list>-owner of the affected list to some real address)
>> . move the /path/to/mailman/lists/<disabled-list>  directory to a
>> temporary location
>>
>> is this the proper way to disable a list? is there anything else that
>> needs to be done?
>

> Yes, that is a good way to temporarily disable a list. I think you
> could actually leave the aliases in place (except for maybe changing
> the -owner alias), and the pipe to the mail/mailman wrapper will fail
> resulting in a reject to the sender. You should test to see if you
> think the reject is appropriate. You can do this by creating an alias
> like
>
> bogus: "|/path/to/mail/mailman post bogus"
>
> and sending a message to that address.

hello Mark,

thank you for your answer! very helpful as always; please excuse my very
late reply...

i did the test with sending a test message to a bogus alias - the good
thing is that in the returned message there is some info:

post script, list not found: bogus
554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 1

this is nice since it says... "no such list here" and i am also able to
see all failed posts in mailman's error log. the negative thing is that
the returned mail exposes my mailman installation path:

The original message was received at Fri, 17 Sep 2010 17:35:10 +0300 (EEST)
from myhost.mydomain.dom [192.192.192.192]

"|/my/real/path/to/mailman/mail/mailman post bogus"
<snip>
Final-Recipient: RFC822; mybogus-alias at mydomain.dom
bogus
<snip>