[Mailman-Users] Creating an invite-only list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Sep 7 03:25:33 CEST 2010

Andrew Hodgson wrote:

>I want to create a mailing list such that the subscribe mechanisms will give a message to the users that this list is for invited members only, and the subscription request will not be held for moderation.

This would require modifying code.

>I initially configured the banned addresses in the ban_list section by entering in the regular expression "^.*$", however, now we can't subscribe anyone manually to the list, which is the only way we want to add people anyway.
>
>Is there any way of doing this without having a tonne of subscription requests in the moderation queue?

Without code modification, your choices are to periodically dump the
held subscription requests which could probably be done with a fairly
simple cron, or to maintain the ban list and remove it before adding a
member and then replace it. You could probably do the latter with a
simple shell script which would run config_list to empty the ban_list,
add_members and then config_list to restore the ban list.