[Mailman-Users] Mailman DOA after power outage crash.

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Sun Oct 31 06:56:06 CET 2010

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> J.A. Terranson wrote:
> >
> >> /usr/mailman/lists/[listname]/config.pck.tmp.<hostname>.<pid> file and
> >> try moving that to /usr/mailman/lists/[listname]/config.pck if it
> >> exists, but even if it does, it may be bad too.
> >
> >Thanks for the terrible news :-/  Is my [completely off the cuff]
> >understanding of the config file correct that it just holds the settings
> >from the config pages? If so, is there any reason I cannot "create" a new
> >list (after moving the existing one) with the same name and then sub the
> >new config.pck for the old corrupted one?
>

> Assuming you don't use some kind of custom member adaptor, the
> config.pck also contains all the list membership information.
>
> You can try running 'strings' on the various config.pck* files to see
> if you can extract useful information that way.

Everything seems to be in there: I see all the settings, plus it looks
like all the subscribers are there as well.  It's going to be *really*
painfull manually restoring all ~1200 addresses and their information, but
I suppose it will have to do.

Whats really odd is that only one (of approx 30 lists) was corrupted, and
when I compare the output of the corrupted vs known goos files, they look
roughly identical.  Clearly they aren't, but... Is there any way to tell
"where" mailman thinks the corruption begins or is it just the absence of
a clean flag somewhere that I am hosed on?

//Alif

--
"Never belong to any party, always oppose privileged classes and public
plunderers, never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to

Joseph Pulitzer, 1907 Speech