[Mailman-Users] Server name change - how?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Oct 23 18:37:45 CEST 2010

Dale & Lora Marshall wrote:

>When I originally set up mailman my server had a name that wasn't in DNS.  I have since changed the name of my server to something that is in DNS.  But, emails that go out still reference the old name and some messages are bouncing because the recipient does a DNS check on incoming emails.
>
>How can this be fixed?

As far as Mailman is concerned, the domain used in all email from a
list is the list's host_name attribute which is near the bottom of the
list's General Options web admin page. You can set the for a given
list from that page and/or set appropriate values for
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and add_virtualhost directives in mm_cfg.py and run
fix_url to update existing lists. See the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/gIA9>.

Note, if the list's host_name is what you want, but outgoing mail
references a different domain, it is probably due to your MTA
rewriting the domain. Fixing this is an MTA question, but see the FAQ
at <http://wiki.list.org/x/uYA9>.