[Mailman-Users] Inadvertent Postings - Approved Header; how does it work?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Oct 20 00:41:01 CEST 2010

Drew Tenenholz wrote:

>I want to use the Approved: <password> header in the message body to help with inadvertent postings as well as block most inappropriate posts. Will the following settings work?
>
>1) Mailman 2.1.9 on Red Hat Linux.
>2) All subscribers (including myself) have the moderation flag set ON.

Good.

>3) My address is also listed as a List-Admin (which is appropriate)
>4) Another user's address is listed as a List-Mod (which I think is appropriate)
>5) This moderator's address happens to be in the accept_these_nonmembers list as well.
>
>7) Other settings:
>	default_member_moderation=YES
>	member_moderation_action=HOLD
>	generic_nonmember_action=HOLD
>

>Test: SUCCESS!  If I send a post without any subject or body from my list-admin address, the post is held for moderation.
>
>But, should I be clearing out the accept_these_nonmembers list as well?  Does receiving a post from an address in this list supercede/evade the moderation flag? Once correctly set, EVERYONE MUST use the Approved:<password> header, correct?

If you want everyone to be required to use an Approved: header to post,
accept_these_nonmembers should be empty. If a non-member is in
accept_these_nonmembers with the above settings, a post from that
non-member (or a spoof of that non-member's address) will be accepted.

With accept_these_nonmembers empty, any post with a valid Approved:
header, whether or not from a member, will be accepted and all others
will be held.