[Mailman-Users] bounce unsubscriptions..

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Oct 12 05:19:10 CEST 2010

Khalil Abbas wrote:

>many people get removed from my lists due to bounces and I recieve many complaints that they re-subscribe then get kicked out again.. my bounce processing settings are as follows:
>

>The maximum member bounce score before the member's subscription is disabled. This value can be a floating point number = 5.0
>

>The number of days after which a member's bounce information is discarded, if no new bounces have been received in the interim. This value must be an integer = 7
>

>How many Your Membership Is Disabled warnings a disabled member should get before their address is removed from the mailing list. Set to 0 to immediately remove an address from the list once their bounce score exceeds the threshold. This value must be an integer =0

Consider raising this to 2 or 3, so that they get a few warnings at 1
week intervals between disable and unsubscribe.

>The number of days between sending the Your Membership Is Disabled warnings. This value must be an integer = 7

Make sure that bounce_notify_owner_on_disable is Yes so you get a
notice containing the triggering bounce when a member is disabled by
bounce processing.

Then, using this information plus possible information from Mailman's
smtp-failure log and the MTA logs, figure out why apparently valid
addresses are bouncing and fix the underlying problem.

If the problem is "spam" rejection by the receiving ISP, make sure the
the member whitlists your list and/or complains to her ISP.