[Mailman-Users] virtual-mailman not generated

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Oct 6 17:10:41 CEST 2010

Peter B. West wrote:

>No doubt I'm overlooking something which is obvious to experienced users, but for a newcomer to both mail server setup and mailman setup, is opaque.
>
>When I run genaliases, I get aliases, but not virtual-mailman.

Because you have no lists whose host_name attribute matches one of the
entries in POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS (i.e. lists.eunuch.pbw.id.au).

>The host that I'm generating this on is eunuch.pbw.id.au (to the outside world.)
>
>The virtual host I want to use with postfix-to-mailman.py is lists.eunuch.pbw.id.au.
>
>Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

First of all, if you are using postfix-to-mailman.py, you don't
want/need Mailman to generate any aliases or virtual mappings. These
are mutually exclusive ways of delivering mail to Mailman.

Also please note that this list is the primary support for GNU Mailman
as distributed by the Mailman project. If you use a downstream
package, we will generally try to help, but your primary support
resources should be those provided by your packager.

>Here's my postfix config.

See comments inserted below. Note that this config doesn't reference
Mailman's aliases or virtual-mailman at all which is correct for
postfix-to-mailman.py.

[...]
>alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
>alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
>
>mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.localdomain, , localhost
>
>relayhost =
>
>mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128 192.168.1.0/8
>
>relay_domains = lists.eunuch.pbw.id.au
>relay_recipient_maps = hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
>
>virtual_alias_domains = lists.eunuch.pbw.id.au

You don't want the above. The domain is a relay domain, not a virtual
alias domain.

>virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
>
>transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport

Presumably (hopefully) there is an entry in /etc/postfix/transport that
specifies a "mailman" transport for the lists.eunuch.pbw.id.au, and an
entry in master.cf defining this transport

>mailman_destination_recipient_limit = 1
>

>mailbox_size_limit = 0
>recipient_delimiter = +
>inet_interfaces = all
>html_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix/html
>

>Here's my mm_cfg.py

Again see comments:

[...]
>#-------------------------------------------------------------
># Default domain for email addresses of newly created MLs
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'localhost.localdomain'

Should be

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'lists.eunuch.pbw.id.au'

This is why your lists don't get created with the correct host_name

>#-------------------------------------------------------------
># Default host for web interface of newly created MLs
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'localhost.localdomain'

This should probably be

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.eunuch.pbw.id.au'

or whatever host name you use to access Mailman's web interface. It
should not be localhost as it is the host in URLs exposed to users to
access their options page, list archives, etc.

>#-------------------------------------------------------------
># Required when setting any of its arguments.
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>
>#-------------------------------------------------------------
[...]
>#-------------------------------------------------------------
># Uncomment this if you configured your MTA such that it
># automatically recognizes newly created lists.
># (see /usr/share/doc/mailman/README.Exim4.Debian or
># /usr/share/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py)
># MTA=None   # Misnomer, suppresses alias output on newlist
>
>#-------------------------------------------------------------
># Uncomment if you use Postfix virtual domains (but not
># postfix-to-mailman.py), but be sure to see
># /usr/share/doc/mailman/README.Debian first.
>MTA='Postfix'

As it says, you don't specify MTA='Postfix' if you use
postfix_to_mailman.py. You want

MTA = None

>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['lists.eunuch.pbw.id.au']

And the above is irrelevant because virtual-mailman is not used.

>DEB_LISTMASTER = 'postmaster at lists.eunuch.pbw.id.au'

[...]