[Mailman-Users] after new installation 403 Forbiden Access

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Oct 2 18:15:30 CEST 2010

Guillaume Chartrand wrote:

>All the installation steps working fine, but when I try to create the first list with the web interface I've got the 403 Forbidden page
>Whenever I try to reach
>http://mywebserver.com/mailman/create
>                                                                         admin
>                                                                        listinfo
>
>I've always get the 403 error.

This has nothing to do with Mailman per se. Your web server is not
allowing you to access the Mailman CGIs.

>Alias /pipermail/   /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/
>ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/"
>
><Directory "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/">
>        AddDefaultCharset Off
>        Options Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews
>        AllowOverride None
>        Order allow,deny
>        Allow from all
></Directory>

You apparently have some allow/deny directives that don't allow access
and which apply to /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/. This is most likely
the Apache default that denies access to the root directory and thus
requires subordinate directories to be explicitly allowed.

Try adding

<Directory "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/">
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
</Directory>