[Mailman-Users] Mailman - trouble creating a second list at anexisting virtual host

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Nov 30 03:28:49 CET 2010

Dean Suhr wrote:

>First, please excuse me if my original post from yesterday posted several
>times.  It appears Google sees my outgoing message as the same ID as the
>returned list message and silently discards the incoming list message making
>me thing it was never sent out ... and they have no config option to change
>this behavior.  Arghhh!

While all that is correct vis a vis Google, that wasn't the issue here.
Your posts were held for moderation because you were a new list
member. Your mod flag has now been cleared and your posts will now go
directly to the list. If you want to confirm that your post has been
received even though Google doesn't show you your post as received
from the list, you can check the archives at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/> or you can set your
list option "Receive acknowledgement mail when you send mail to the
list?" to Yes.

[...]
>Will I always have to manually post entries into virtual-mailman or is that
>supposed to happen somewhere along the way?  Is there a terminal command
>line I missed or could have run in addition to cause this to happen
>automatically?

It should happen automatically. I suspect it didn't in your case
because of certain case-sensitivities which are really bugs. If you
make all your domain names in mm_cfg.py, i.e. DEFAULT_URL_HOST,
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST, additional domains in add_virtualhost() and
domains in POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS, all lower case and use all
lower case in -u options to newlist or fix_url. Everything should work.

The underlying bug is that domains in add_virtualhost() directives are
lower-cased by Mailman but are matched case-sensitively to
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS so if the POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS
domains are mixed or upper case, they don't match.

If you make everything lower case and run fix_url with a lower case -u
domain and then run genaliases, you should be OK.

Note that manually editing virtual-mailman is unsafe because if
genaliases is ever run, your changes will be lost.