[Mailman-Users] unknown user: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mylist at mydomain.com"

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Nov 26 18:33:32 CET 2010

On 11/26/2010 5:29 AM, Gustavo Delfino wrote:
> > Thank you Mark & Geoff for answering. If using virtual mailboxes
complicates matters significantly, I could switch to using regular UNIX
accounts for my email addresses for my virtual domains. After all the
number of email accounts that I manage is very low, as I mostly forward
messages to other domains.

I don't think that's a problem.

> > Find below the requested configuration information:
> >
> > # postconf -n
> > alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
> > alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
> > command_directory = /usr/sbin
> > config_directory = /etc/postfix
> > daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
> > debug_peer_level = 2
> > html_directory = no
> > inet_interfaces = all
> > mail_owner = postfix
> > mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
> > manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
> > mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost
> > mydomain = gdsolutions.com.ve
> > myhostname = admin.gdsolutions.com.ve
> > mynetworks_style = host
> > myorigin = $mydomain
> > newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases.postfix
> > queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
> > readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES
> > sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/samples
> > sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
> > setgid_group = postdrop
> > unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
> > virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_alias

> >                      hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
> >                      hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

The above is the problem. hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases belongs
in alias_maps, not in virtual_alias_maps. I.e.

virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_alias
                     hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

and

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
             hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases

> > virtual_gid_maps = static:517
> > virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail
> > virtual_mailbox_domains = /etc/postfix/virtual_domains
> > virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailbox
> > virtual_uid_maps = static:506
> >

> > mm_cfg.py:
> > MTA = 'Postfix'
> > POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = [ 'bosque-encantado.org.ve' ]
> > DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'gdsolutions.com.ve'
> > DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'gdsolutions.com.ve'
> > add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
> > DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'es'

There may be an issue here. The above says that you have only one email
domain for lists and it is gdsolutions.com.ve. It is mydomain in
Postfix, but it is not in mydestination, thus it is not a local domain
in Postfix. Its should either be added to mydestination as in

mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain

or it should be in POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS above as in

POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = [ 'bosque-encantado.org.ve',
                                  'gdsolutions.com.ve' ]

Also, the domain 'bosque-encantado.org.ve' is not mentioned as a Mailman
virtual host. If you actually have lists in this domain, you should add

add_virtualhost('web.host.for.this.domain', 'bosque-encantado.org.ve')

to mm_cfg.py where 'web.host.for.this.domain' is
'bosque-encantado.org.ve' or whatever the host portion of URLs for this
domain is.