[Mailman-Users] Mailman Slow Delivery

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 11 01:33:06 CET 2010

Ajay Kajla wrote:

>I have been using mailman+sendmail on a CentOS Linux VPS box, with 2 x
>Intel(R) Xeon(TM) MP CPU 3.66GHz CPUs, and 2 GB RAM. The list is of around
>65000 users.
>

>Form the past few weeks server seems to be very slow in delivering mails. I
>have been receiving mailer approximately with 2 hours delay.
>
>*******Mailman is taking 30979.910 seconds for 65660 users*******
>Oct 31 10:02:28 2010 (7270) <201010310625.o9V6PY9t028494 at xyz.com> smtp to
>xyz for 65660 recips, completed in 30979.910 seconds

And presumably the "last" users have been seeing over 8 hours delay.

Also, possibly Mailman's out/ queue is backlogged.

>*******Whereas another server with came Specs and configuration is just
>taking 12517.834 for larger (79579) number of users.*******
>

>Oct 31 19:10:25 2010 (12027) <201010311653.o9VGrCqX024525 at abc.com> smtp to
>abc for 79579 recips, completed in 12517.834 seconds

That's still too long to be viable.

>Can you please suggest me how to improvise the performance of mailman

Go to the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/AgA3> and search for
"performance".

>or how
>about if I want to migrate the mailman from Sendmail to Exim ?

See <http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html> for information on
integrating Exim and Mailman