[Mailman-Users] Approved message is discarded

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 4 19:06:04 CET 2010

Andre van Kan wrote:

>On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 07:12 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>> > Can you send me off list a copy of Mailman/Cgi/admindb.py from your
>> > system?
>>
>> I received that. Thank you. Unfortunately, there's nothing there that
>> helps explain this issue. I can work up a patch to provide debug
>> logging, but before I do that, is there anything in Mailman's 'error'
>> log from either the time of the visit to the admindb page or from the
>> time the held post arrived?
>
>Not a single entry in any of the log files.
>

>>  If so, what's in the error log. If not, is
>> it possible that some non-mailman process has removed any of Mailman's
>> data/heldmsg* files between the holding of the post and the visit to the
>> admindb page?
>
>I don't think so. The message is removed at the
>very moment that the link in Mailman's notification
>message is activated.

I understand that, but the data/heldmsg* file could have been removed
external to Mailman before that.

>> Also, it wouldn't hurt to run Mailman's bin/check_perms to see if there
>> might be permission issues on Mailman's data/ directory.
>
>See attachment. Mail restarted, just in case ...
>I sent a message to the list. Unfortunately there was no message
>waiting for me to be accepted and NO entry was in vette.
>I think that it would be great if the logging became a bit
>more verbose. Thanks in advance.

The attached admindb.patch.txt file contains a patch that will log more
information to Mailman's 'debug' log.

Try applying the patch and then the next time the problem occurs, post
the log - note the log may contain passwords; be careful to remove
them before posting.