[Mailman-Users] What Causes Random Unsubscribe Notices

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Thu Nov 4 02:23:23 CET 2010

I run mailman with about 175 lists, and 6000 users, many of whom
belong to multiple lists.  I have personalized e-mail set to yes, and
the following in the footer which produces a personal options link
for the user in each message:

%(real_name)s:
%(user_optionsurl)s

Several times a week I get mail from a user saying they got an
unsubscribe confirmation message and hadn't done anything to trigger
it.  I believe them because I have gotten some too.  This behavior
seems to have started when I started adding personalized footers.  Is
it somehow caused by the long string of personalized links left in
messages when people reply and don't trim off bottom.  Some of these
message chains can get pretty long.

Or, is there something else that causes the generation of seemingly
random unsubscribe confirmation messages?

Dave

                         David Andrews:  dandrews at visi.com
Follow me on Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/dandrews920