[Mailman-Users] maximum hop count exceeded

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed May 26 09:35:25 CEST 2010

Grant Taylor writes:

 > So, I think this does "fix" this problem.

It fixes it for the Mailman host, yes.  It's still wasting some
bandwidth and may indicate more serious problems on an intermediate
host.  Typically it's not a problem at either the last hop or the
apparent sender, so quite painful to trace in the absence of headers.

 > > Certainly it makes sense to cut out all but one of the "received"
 > > headers for the list host, though, since you'll have MTA logs to trace
 > > that.

 > Sure, the system that the message was (directly) received from would be
 > logged, but none of the earlier Received: headers.

Actually, I'm talking about this kind of thing:

	by imss02.cc.tsukuba.ac.jp (Postfix) with ESMTP id A6983F4004
	for <turnbull at sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>; Wed, 26 May 2010 12:42:40 +0900 (JST)

where the top three Receiveds would really not give me any useful
information beyond what I can get from logs in the tsukuba.ac.jp
domain.

Stripping three of the four headers might be worthwhile in the OP's
case.