[Mailman-Users] maximum hop count exceeded

Grant Taylor gtaylor at riverviewtech.net
Tue May 25 22:08:57 CEST 2010

On 05/24/10 23:55, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> But pruning Received headers has the disadvantage that you can't
> detect real loops caused by some bonehead with the list in his
> .forward (or more likely a broken MTA config).

You are correct, that is a theoretical possibility.

But depending on the routing of mail messages, I'm not sure that this
would be the case.

Even if it was, we would be talking about a loop of what flows through
Mailman.  And unless I am mistaken, I think Mailman has another header,
"X-BeenThere:" to detect this very problem.

So, I think in reality things will be ok.

But this is still something to keep in mind and be mindful for in the
future.

Grant. . . .