[Mailman-Users] mailman-loop and exim

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 17 18:41:47 CEST 2010

Roger Lynn wrote:

>On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 08:27:29AM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>> Just add the
>>
>> mailman-loop: /usr/local/mailman/data/owner-bounces.mbox
>>
>> alias to /etc/aliases and the system aliases router will take care of
>> it. The site list name and/or (standard default) path above may need
>> adjustment for your installation. I.e. if your site list were named
>> 'site_list' instead of 'mailman' the address above would be
>> site_list-loop, and the path needs to point to Mailman's data/
>> directory (possibly /etc/mailman/data in Debian). Also, you need to
>> make sure that Exim's system aliases user:group can write to
>> owner-bounces.mbox
>
>Is the necessity of adding the above line doumented anywhere in the
>installation instructions?

No, unfortunately, it's not. I'll try to put something in the
installation manual.

However, I don't think it is a serious problem. The only mail sent with
envelope from mailman-loop is sent either to mailman-owner or to the
mailman list owner address(es) directly. If mail to mailman-owner is
not deliverable to Mailman, there are more serious problems than a
missing mailman-loop alias. Thus, the only real issue is with mail to
the actual owner address(es). This mail should normally not bounce,
but if it does, and the alias doesn't exist, the DSN will simply be
dropped by the MTA because it will have a null envelope sender.

The only loss is that the DSN is not saved in owner-bounces.mbox. No
actual loop results.