[Mailman-Users] Moderators subscribe users via email only

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat May 15 17:11:59 CEST 2010

ericl42 wrote:

>I am setting up a MailMan list server and I am trying to find a way for
>moderators to subscribe users through email. We are only using the MailMan
>website for the administrators and need the moderators to be able to at
>least subscribe people and/or accept subscription requests from users. The
>only way I can think of this working is by allowing only moderators the
>ability to use the subscribe command and then I can just set the privacy
>options to wide open and not require approval since I know only the
>moderators are doing the commands. Is this possible or is there any other
>way to do this? Thanks.

Without modifying the code or writing your own email subscribe process
such as suggested by Adam McGreggor in another reply, what you suggest
is not possible.

The only way I can think to do this without code modifications is the
following:

Set the list's subscribe_policy to Require approval.

Then a moderator (or anyone) can send an email with
Subject: subscribe new_users_pw (no)digest address=newuser at example.com
to the list-request address.

The moderator who sent the request will receive a "results of your
email commands" message saying the request has been forward to the
list admin.

If admin_immed_notify is yes, all owners/moderators will receive notice
of a held subscription.

In any case, the moderator can go to the web admindb interface and
approve the held subscription.