[Mailman-Users] This should not have happened

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Sun May 9 02:48:00 CEST 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 17:27 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> which effectively gives clients free reign to ignore all but subject=
> and body=, although I think most honor at least in-reply-to= and
> references=.

<rant>
I don't know of any Internet services (except maybe Microsoft's
implementation of HTTP/HTML) where the implementations play faster and
looser with RFC-based standards than the protocols around email!  The
war against spam has spawned a great plethora of half-baked,
RFC-stretching (or RFC-violating) behaviors in both clients and servers!
It's a wonder to me that Internet email works _at all_ and it's a
tribute to Crocker, Resnick and all the rest of the engineers who
designed the services and wrote the RFCs that it has endured and
continues to function despite this kind of rampant abuse.
</rant>

I do, of course have to recommend the least common denominator to list
hosting customers, and hew to the dictates of Occam's Razor :-)
Whatever solution is both simplest and most reliable is the appropriate
one in this case.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works if you let it"
FMP Computer Services |   (The Roadie)