[Mailman-Users] bounces

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 4 05:19:48 CEST 2010

kalin m wrote:

>hi there...  wondering if fake email addresses in a mailman list can get
>cleaned up with the bounces options. just testing with one and the mail
>log says (correctly) it could not resolve the host. is this considered a
>hard bounce by mailman?!

Is it considered a hard bounce by your MTA? I.e. is it a 5xx or a 4xx
status. That's what determines whether Mailman consideres it a bounce
or not.

>i have enabled the bounce processing, the
>maximum bounce score is 1.0, the bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings are
>set to 0 expecting immediate removal. now that i sent a couple of test
>messages out that fake address is still in the members list. what needs
>to happened?

Your MTA needs to return a 5xx for the recipient to Mailman during SMTP
or to send a 5xx DSN to listname-bounces.

Is the message still queued and being retried in the MTA, or is it
still being retried by Mailman?