[Mailman-Users] Changing host names, revisited... POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 3 18:32:11 CEST 2010

Tanstaafl wrote:

>On 2010-05-02 7:02 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> This gets complicated. My question at this point is how is mail to
>> listname at example.com getting to Mailman.
>
>Hopefully you can help me figure that out... :)

I think I can.

>/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases contains blocks like the following for
>each list:
>
># STANZA START: listname
># CREATED: Wed Jan 11 18:32:22 2006
>listname:             "|/usr/lib64/mailman/mail/mailman post listname"
>
>Again, of course, each has all of the required aliases.

Right, and those are absolutely required for all deliveries.

>myhost ~ # postconf -n
>alias_maps = hash:/etc/mail/aliases, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

And the above references those Mailman aliases which is good.

[...]
>mydomain = example.com

And this says that example.com is the local domain and it is included
by default in mydestination which means mail to the example.com domain
is delivered by postfix/local and uses Mailman's aliases.

[...]
>virtual_alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_vam.cf,
>hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

And this references Mailman's virtual maps created for the
myhost.example.com domain. Normally, for delivery of mail addressed
to, e.g. listname-owner at myhost.example.com via the virtual mapping
which maps that address to the local address listname-owner, you also
need

virtual_alias_domains = myhost.example.com

If it is working without that, there might be something in the
mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_vam.cf that is enabling it, or those
addresses may not be working, but if they are not, bounce processing
and some owner notifications may not be working,

So, How to proceed.

My understanding is you want the list addresses to be @example.com and
only the web host to be lists.example.com.

Given that understanding, what you want to end up with in mm_cfg.py is

MTA = 'Postfix'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'example.com'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.example.com'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

with no POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS at all, and, you can remove

hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

from Postfix virtual_alias_maps and remove the
/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman* files.