[Mailman-Users] Changing host names, revisited... POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS?

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Sun May 2 23:49:33 CEST 2010

On 2010-05-02 5:22 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 5/2/2010 12:41 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> The first question I have is about POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS. In the
>> FAQs about changing hostnames, this setting is not mentioned.
>>
>> Now, this server only hosts lists for one domain: example.com.
>>
>> So - should I also change that setting to lists.example.com too (per
>> below)? Or, since I am not running lists for more than one domain, can
>> my setup be simplified somehow? Or does it even come into play?

> Since the email domain for all your lists is (or should be) example.com,
> anything other than example .com in POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS has no
> effect. I.e.

Ok, so, after your previous, I'm confused as to what to do to fix this...

>> Defaults.py currently contains
>>
>>> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'myhost.example.com'
>>> DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'myhost.example.com'

> probably wrong.

Yeah, I kind of figured that, so now I just need to know how to fix it
without breaking anything...

> The order of the above two is wrong. "VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()" clears the
> VIRTOUAL_HOSTS dictionary. You don't want it after your add_virtualhost
> as you will end up with nothing. You first want
>
> VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
>
> to remove any incorrect or irrelevant entry from Defaults.py. This is
> followed by
>
> add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>
> to add the newly defined values.

Thanks, fixed...

>>> DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/mailman/'
>>> #POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['lists.example.com']
>>> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['myhost.example.com']
>>> ALLOW_SITE_ADMIN_COOKIES = Yes

> If your list mail goes to ... at example.com and example.com is a local
> domain in Postfix (i.e. in mydestinations), you don't want
> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS at all and you don't want any references
> to Mailman's virtual-mailman in virtual_alias_maps in Postfix.

It's not local, I'm using virtual_mailbox_domains/maps... I do host
email for two other domains, just no lists (and no need for them)...

So, now my new mm_cfg.py is:

> # Put YOUR site-specific settings below this line.
> MTA = 'Postfix'
> #DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'example.com'
> #DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.example.com'
> #VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
> #add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
> DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/mailman/'
> #POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['lists.example.com']
> #POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['myhost.example.com']
> ALLOW_SITE_ADMIN_COOKIES = Yes

?

Or, should I make POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['example.com']

--

Charles