[Mailman-Users] Changing host names, revisited... POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS?

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Sun May 2 21:41:26 CEST 2010

Ok, I got sidetracked a long time ago, and because this isn't pressing,
it went to a back-burner, but I'm ready to do this now. My apologies in
advance if I'm being overly cautious, but I've avoided a lot of
problems, some major, by asking a lot of questions before doing
something like this that I've never done before.

Goal is simple: change the URL/hostname for my lists from their current
'myhost.example.com' to 'lists.example.com'.

If it matters, these lists are *not* publicly accessible, and they are
*not* archived.

After re-reading the two FAQs regarding this, I have a few things I'm
not certain of, so will pose the questions one at a time, and will
include my current Defaults.py and my new mm_cfg.py with the new
settings/changes commented at the bottom of each message.

The first question I have is about POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS. In the
FAQs about changing hostnames, this setting is not mentioned.

Now, this server only hosts lists for one domain: example.com.

So - should I also change that setting to lists.example.com too (per
below)? Or, since I am not running lists for more than one domain, can
my setup be simplified somehow? Or does it even come into play?

Thanks,

Charles

******************* My current and proposed new settings:

Defaults.py currently contains

> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'myhost.example.com'
> DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'myhost.example.com'
> DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

And my current/recently edited mm_cfg.py - the commented settings/lines
below are the changes I've added, in preparation for the change, and
will just comment/uncomment the relevant ones to 'flip the switch':