[Mailman-Users] How to install Mailman 2.1.13 on Debian Lenny

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Fri Mar 26 21:19:33 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 08:35:22PM +0100, Ulf Dunkel wrote:
> now, but "aptitude install mailman" or "apt-get install mailman" won't
> give me more than v2.1.11.

You might find using the Squeeze or Sid versions
    http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=mailman
work. However, the usual caution applies of mixing versions.

I think a couple of people have used those, per this list's archive --
it might be worth searching for "backports" in the archive, or some
keywords around "debian" "2.1.13" or so-on.

> I hoped to get at least Mailman v2.1.12 with the Debian update which
> brings better German localized files - but my ISP now informed me that
> this is kind of a restriction in the Debian philosophy which does not
> always support the current packages of applications.

I've usually found it to be a case of how busy the packager/maintainer is.

> They asked me to install Mailman v2.1.13 "manually" because this doesn't
> seem to be possible with apt-get right now.

That's an option, too. Although it's something to remember to
maintain.

> Because I have not installed a single app myself without the help of the
> package manager aptitude, I am kind of stuck.

"apt-cache search mailman"

> Can you give me a little howto?

Debian has good documentation. See also
    http://www.debian-administration.org
for example.

--
``Fog In Channel: Continent Cut Off''
  (urban-legend newspaper headline, c. 1905)