[Mailman-Users] tech question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 25 17:16:42 CET 2010

Pam Foster Felt wrote:

>We use your great list serve software to run a list that's
>valued.  We are changing our email host (to Google Apps) and recently
>changed the MS record associated with our domain name,
>gatheringwaters.org.  Do I need to do anything to our mailman acct
>and list serve to ensure it will still work?

Mailman is not Listserv[1]

The MX record in DNS for gatheringwaters.org mow goes to Google. This
is a problem. You will have to arrange somehow for the list mail to be
relayed back to the Mailman server.

If your lists are hosted by your old host, you may have to continue
that hosting arrangement, possibly with a new domain such as
lists.gatheringwaters.org.

[1] Please do not refer to Mailman lists as 'listservs'. Listserv(r) is
a registered trademark[2]  owned by the developer of a particular
email list management product, and it shouldn't be used  generically.

My personal interest in this is not to protect the Listserv(r)
trademark, but rather to avoid  confusing Listserv(r) email list
management software with any other email list management software
including GNU Mailman of which I am a developer.

[2] <http://www.lsoft.com/corporate/trademark.asp>