[Mailman-Users] put a list user into automated bounce processingfrom the command line?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Mar 23 16:46:12 CET 2010

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Anne LaVin writes:
>
> > But every now and then I get a list member whose deliveries start (and
> > keep) bouncing, but whose mail host sends unrecognizable bounces.
> >
> > I would very much like to find a way (command-line is fine) to start
> > those list members' accounts off into the automated bounce processing
> > system somehow; in other words, I want to change their status to
> > "nomail-because-of-bounces" and I want the rest of the automated
> > system to know that that account is now starting down the path to
> > account removal and act accordingly, without requiring further action
> > from me, just as it would have if the bounces had been processed by
> > the system in the first place.
>
>This is probably not feasible, as you have stated it.

Actually, it is if I understand correctly. See the script at
<http://www.msapiro.net/scripts/set_nomail.py> (mirrored at
<http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~msapiro/scripts/set_nomail.py>).

If you set a member to "no mail by bounce" with this script, they will
then be send the normal bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings messages at
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval and eventually be removed.

However, if you do as Stephen suggests and file a bug with the
unrecognized bounce attached or just send it to me, I'll try to
recognize it in the next release.